Monday, January 21, 2008

They should call it "Crosshairs"

Our trip to Target
by Kelly

Five years of marriage have taught me a lot of things. Among other things, I have learned that holiday decorations are a legitimate source of happiness, otherwise normal people can be consumed by books about vampires, Oprah Winfrey has all the answers, and nine or more innings of baseball are not as enthralling to everyone as they are to me. This is the story of how I learned about the retail chain Target, and the clear and present danger it represents to me personally.
So today we went to Target. Five years of marriage, all within five minutes of at least one Target, and I still fall for the same trick every time: Kim writes a list, I assume the purpose of the trip is to obtain the items on the list. But there is one wife and a board room of giggling executives who know full well that the list is irrevelant the moment it crosses the threshold of those automatic doors. Here we are greeted by a welcoming array of colorful displays, large air-brushed, happy people engaged in various versions of domestic bliss. We see lots of red, enforcing the concept of "home," as if this is really where we belong and the days or even weeks we spent outside of this haven have been nothing short of wasted.

The fun begins as we stumble upon several aisles of extremely cheap items, where $1 signs on packaged plastic toys or home decorations serve the vital role of a "warm-up" for our shopping experience. Buying things is more similar to using drugs than we would like to believe, and if they can get us to "try it once" and establish a little habit of deciding to spend, then they have us.

But today we keep our initial momentum through the entryway, avoid eye contact with the blissful illustrations, and plow right by the one-dollar section at the front of the store. We have a list, which I make the mistake of asking about within the first thirty seconds of the experience.

"What is on our list? Maybe we can split up and get it done faster."

"I was sort of hoping we could be together."

"Of course. Together."

So we head to the children's clothing, where we look for toddler underwear, the first item on our list. Bennett promptly chooses Shrek over Pirates of the Caribbean, after comprehending that the Lighting McQueen pairs are not his size. Next to the undies are pajamas, and Asher has recently grown out of several pairs, and it is this moment that I realize I am stuck.

The problem I have at Target is that I consider myself a "rational decision-maker." For each potential purchase, I obtain information like cost, quality, expected usage and lifetime, available substitutes, etc. With this information, I am able to calculate the net benefit of such a purchase to my family, and weigh it against the retail price. When I enter the twilight zone that is Target, this type of rational thinking dies a bloody death. In the first place, everything at Target could be justified (in most cases with apparently good reasoning) as a "need" by a specific demographic. Unfortunately for me, I am married to a member of this demographic, and I repeatedly consent to go shopping with her. Secondly, the prices at Target are almost always surprisingly low, meaning I would almost always expect to pay more for a given item than I see written on the price tag. So when push comes to shove, we end up buying everything we pick up because a) we need it (even though it wasn't on our list), and b) it costs such a small amount it is impossible to resist.

Target is a veritable Venus Fly Trap. Here are some statistics from today's excursion to prove my points. We started with a list of eight items. One was not in stock; a second I decided was too expensive and we resisted purchasing. With the remaining six items on the list, we made 33 individual purchases. While 24 of these fell into the categories of list items (we were buying baby food and potty treats and things like that), eight were not conceived of before entering the store (one item could not be deciphered from the receipt). So it sounds like we did pretty well, right? This is the interesting part: the total cost of the trip was $103.69 before tax. So the average purchase of this trip was $3.14 (coincidentally equal to the geometric ratio "Pi"). This low average cost helped us throughout the trip to feel like we were not spending very much money. As we bask in our dillusional savings, the cart fills up and we're out $103.69 plus tax.

The most interesting part of the analysis is the average price of "list items" ($2.13) versus "non-list items" ($6.14). Kim will point out that this comparison is unfair because it includes all the baby food and candy bars, but I think the trend would probably hold for most Target trips, though maybe not as pronounced.

In conclusion, I have decided that Target has officially put an end to rational decision-making by blurring the lines with low-cost, useful items that people don't tend to think of before meandering through the aisles. In a way, I am proud of them for this accomplishment, which has most certainly made some people very rich. On the other hand, I have decided not to enter those automatic doors again, at least not on a family outing. But after a post like this, you probably won't hear anyone complain.

Algebra Quiz: Can you calculate the price of the undeciphered item?

17 comments:

Danielle said...

Very well written, Kelly. I love Target. And this post just reaffirms why I love Target. Men won't ever understand. Nor can we expect them to. Next time offer to stay home and watch the kids so Kim can enjoy hours of uninterrupted shopping bliss. And don't ever, ever break down a shopping receipt like that again. A "Good job, Kim. How much money do you think you saved us today?" (regardless of the receipt total) would be a much better response.

Jennifer said...

This was the best thing of my life. Unfortunately, Kelly, your appeal of injustice is hitting the wrong ears (or eyes, rather). I'm guessing you won't get much sympathy from your blog audience. It's as though Target was born just as Edward Cullen was born- just for me. sigh.

And more important than finding out how much the undecipherable item cost (because you know that answer isn't coming from me), I would like to know what was so undecipherable? What exactly was this unmentionable item? I think you are hiding something.

Cathy said...

Kelly Kelly Kelly - Did you realize that most husbands don't actually read blogs? Sympathy just won't be obtained from this posting. "Know your audience" rule should still apply as a blog rule.
Actually, I loved your Target blog. It's the reason my husband is in business. Successful advertising occurs when the consumer knows he/she is getting taken advantage of and still keeps shopping. I feel the same way in Target as you do. I hate being there but I feel like the most accomplished bargain shopper in the world. You know you're a great shopper when you're kids automatically ask "Can I have it Mom...... It's on sale!!"

Unknown said...

Kelly, I love you. I miss you, and want you to come back to Cambridge, so we can bask in our big box capitalistic disillusioned glory. As a husband, I understand this post to be... the story of my life. I have had the same feelings, the very same feelings. I am grateful you put it into such eloquent words. [I'm also grateful that a) your wife hasn't deleted it yet. and b) my wife is cool enough to suggest I read it, because it is great, and will make me miss you.

You have all the sympathy in the world from me, and I share all of the wrath you have for Target [and possibly more evil Wal-Mart]. I am also in fact, frightened by Cathy's comments about business and why Target is great. Advertising and consumerism and are rotting our society from the inside out, and with those people getting rich from these schemes, it only means that more and more mouths go hungry and more backs unclothed.
I'm glad we can agree on this, and that you are talented and clever enough to put the idea across in such a funny and entertaining way, something that a bitter and angry person like me could never do.

Kelly said...

Thanks for the comment Logan. We miss Cambridge and, specifically, you and Kate and your own set of rants.

I'm not sure I agree about what is good and what is bad in a confusing, modern, global economy. I still don't have my position figured out yet.

But I do feel defeated by Target, and also concerned about materialism and it's role on me and my family (read: trying to not go bankrupt).

Christine said...

Awesome. I can admit you are totally right because I fall into the same trap time after time. You hit the nail on the head- its those stinkin dollar bins! :) I had to call Brigham over to read your post, and he enjoyed it. We've been through the same realization before.

Mike said...

This is funny.

As for us, it is very expensive when Jennifer starts saving us money. The pre-Mason ebay days were particularly troubling. I would someday like to explore the link between gambling and 'winning' an item in an online auction....

"I know! It was like $4.00! I won!"

As for the unmentionable: $3.45.

jenny said...

So...what's the problem?? :)

KWS said...

! <--- (my brain, with the help of a calculating brother, realizing what the profit-mongers have been up to in those great and spacious... retail warehouses.)

At least Target believes in customer service. I was in two different Office Depots yesterday and their idea of a customer service counter is to put up a "Customer Service" sign above an unmanned computer terminal.

Lastly, I take issue with your Pi statement. 3.14 is no more Pi than Cate Blanchett is Queen Elizabeth. Oh, it may look the part, but the devil is in the, um, infinite and pattern-free sequence of numerics.

Kaylani said...

Loved your post! I was in Target yesterday and actually contemplating if I needed to buy a swimsuit (becauese they had just put up the display). I know I won't be wearing one for another 6 months, but you could always use a new one, right? I actually go on a weekly basis though because it's next to my gym and the girls LOVE their animal crackers in the cute little box. That's all...I'm a HUGE target fan.

The Bates said...

Haha...funny story. Kim I am just like you. I always find something I NEED at Target that I didn't know I needed when I went in. The husbands just don't understand :)

The Wilkins' said...

What a great post Kelly. If it makes you feel any better, our Target trips are very similar. And Kim, I am totally with you in wanting to shop "as a family."

FYI We live 90 miles from the nearest Target... now that is depressing!

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness I love this post. Christian would agree with you wholeheartedly and I think maybe it's better for him not to read this.... ;) I picked up many "needed" items last night as I was waiting for a prescription to be filled - and I love them. And you wouldn't believe the deal I got on them ;)

Sarah said...

Oh, our favorite Smiths. I am glad someone feels the same way I do about Target. It is a trap, you go in for toothpaste and come out $100 dollars later.
We miss you in Boston. Sounds like CA is treating you well though. We thoroughly enjoy your blog. The title alone, is enough laughs in itself. Tell your little family hello for us.
Eric and Sarah H.

Stephen & Lauren Reber said...

Hmmm...is my husband secretly writing on your blog? This story sounds sooo familiar.

John said...

Kelly:

Bullseye. Robin Hood himself could not have shot a better mark.

A few terms that you might hear from your giggling executives watching you through security cameras:

1) demand creation - the use of price reduction (sometimes cost reduction) to induce immediate response to a product. AKA, the 8 items not on the list.

2) loss leader - An item that is sold at a "loss" of markup that would normally be obtained on the particular item, for the express purpose of increasing store traffic. They don't necesarily lose money on the 24 items you bought, but they don't make as much as much on the other eight. Winn-Dixie was really bad at this. People would poach the deals and then do the rest of their shopping at Walmart. The loss-led on the wrong items and later went bankrupt.

3) hedonic pricing - they know you are going to look for quality and other factors. They have already market tested theoretical products with all, some, or none of the factors you have in mind and know what people will pay for each combination of factors on average. They price accordingly.

You experienced a text book trip to Target.

Your only hope is to either i) never return or ii) put so much of your money in Target stock that you can't afford to go shopping there but rather profit from the poor saps whose wives drag them there.

As a side note to help out Kim, I suspect that if you look back at your receipt and take into account sample size and standard deviation of the two groups - list and nonlist - you will find that you cannot conclude with statistical certainty that the two means are different (http://glass.ed.asu.edu/stats/analysis/t2test.html)

hebgengirl said...

I gave my husband a tissue when I had him sit down to read this. I wasn't sure if he'd need it because he would be laughing so hard he'd be crying, or if he'd just be crying because truth hurts! You're spot on! (From Eric's sister.)
PS My husband just finished- he wants to meet you!